If you ever need a little sweet snack in the evening, are craving chocolate cake, or want to make a healthy sweet treat, this chocolate brownie mug cake is here for you.
All you need to do is mix up a few ingredients in a cute mug, microwave for 1 minute, top it if you would like (obviously you would), and then there you have it. A delicious and healthy chocolate cake in a matter of minutes. You’re welcome.
This mug cake does not only taste delicious, however it has the perfect balance of healthy fats, carbohydrates, and a good boost of protein as well. These three combined together make for a very satisfying snack.
Toppings are a must in my opinion, but you do you.
Chocolate and raspberries are a match made in heaven, strawberries too. You can sprinkle a few more chocolate chips on top if you need a little more chocolate fix. (I wouldn’t blame you). Maybe some regular or coconut whipped cream. Last but not least, a spoonful of frozen yogurt or regular ice cream really takes this up ten more knotches.
Healthy Mug Cake Recipe
Yield: 1 mug cake Time: 3 minutes
- 1 tbsp Cashew butter*
- 1 tbsp maple syrup**
- 1.5-2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- crack of salt
- Optional add-ins: chocolate chips, walnuts, pecans
*Any other neutral nut butter can be used in replacement of cashew butter. (Almond butter would be the next best thing.) Peanut butter can be used however it would give it a peanut flavour.
**Honey or any other liquid sweetener can be used instead of maple syrup.
- I find the easiest way to add your ingredients together is starting with cracking your egg into the mug and whisking it with a fork.
- Then mix in all other wet ingredients including maple syrup, cashew butter, and vanilla extract.
- Finally add cocoa powder, baking powder, and a crack of salt. Mix aggressively to combine. (Small mess is a possibility.)
- Try the batter, If you like it a little sweeter feel free to add another 1/2 tbsp of maple syrup.
- Mix in any optional add-ins if desired.
- Microwave for 1 minute. The mug cake should puff up. Microwave for another 15-20 seconds if needed.
- Top with more chocolate chips, berries, frozen yogurt, coconut cream, or whatever you please!
Per one mug cake without toppings.
Calories: 249 Total Fat: 13g Sodium: 655mg Carbohydrates: 21g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 11g Protein: 11g