We all know and love tacos. A super easy and healthy meal to make in a pinch. So if you love tacos as much as everyone else, continue reading.
This recipe will help you take your taco experience to the next level with all of the necessities in a 5 star taco experience.
Building Your Taco
Everyone expresses themselves differently, taco preferences included!
Where to start? Corn tortillas are my absolute favourite kind of tortilla shell to fill all the goodness with. The corn shell compliments the charred corn you may like to add into your taco. But if you prefer flour tortilla shells, use that! You are creating your own happiness here.
There are so many toppings to choose from, but there are a few in particular that will help you get that perfect taco you want. A few of my personal favourites are mango, charred corn, cherry tomatoes, homemade chipotle aioli sauce, and more… See my Grilled Chicken Taco Bowls recipe for more filler inspiration!
A few other toppings that I cannot forget to mention are romaine or iceberg lettuce, and of course cilantro. (Unless you are apart of the small percentage of people who think it taste like soap…)
Last but not least, cheese. I know you can’t go wrong with a little bit of the classic cheddar cheese. My personal favourite however, is a few crumbles of feta… SO good.
Perfecting the Chicken
To perfect the grilled chicken there are a few simple mastery steps. First you will char your chicken breast in a cast iron skillet with your spice mix, and then you will cook it in the preheated oven to further cook the inside! Trust me, this takes it to the next level.
Chicken Street Taco Recipe
Makes: 8-12 tacos Prep time: 25-30 minutes
For the Chicken
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt (add more to your liking)
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- Corn torilla shells (Or flour tortilla shells)
- 2 fresh mangos, cubed
- 1-2 cups frozen corn, charred*
- Cheese of choice
- Cilantro, romaine lettuce (chopped)
- Fresh lime wedges for serving
- 1/4 C plain greek yogurt
- 2-3 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- If making charred corn for your tacos, begin with this step. Heat cast iron skillet to high heat and add your corn. Cook on high heat until all your corn is nicely charred as if on a BBQ. (A few pieces may pop as the skillet gets heated, do not be alarmed!)*
- Preheat your oven to 400℉.
- Add all spice mix ingredients to a small bowl and mix together.
- Heat your cast iron skilled (or regular skillet) to high heat. Pat seasoning mix onto both sides of your chicken. Once hot, reduce to medium-high heat and place the seasoned chicken breast onto the skillet. Cook each side for three minutes. This should result in a nice charred chicken breast.
- Once charred, place cast iron skillet into the preheated oven and let cook for 20 minutes.
- Prep your other ingredients by cubbing mango, tomatoes, making guac, shredding cheese, and whatever else you may desire.
- Finally, if using corn tortillas, preheat a large skillet to medium heat and cook each tortilla shell for 30 seconds per side. (This is optional, you could also just warm them up in the microwave, but this makes them wayyyyy better.)
*Since BBQ season is upon us, you could also simpy make corn on the cobb to add your tacos instead of the cast iron method.