Spring rolls are in my top 5 meals of all time. And I will stand by that statement forever. They are refreshing, flavourful, nutritionally dense, and satisfying. I am a huge fan of sweet/salty combos which this has as well… Anyways I’ll relax on the spring roll hype up now.
I included a more specific guide to making these with shrimp, however I also love using pork chops, tofu, or keeping it veggie only and serving chicken satay on the side!
Make it a Bowl
If you are short for time, you can ditch the wraps and simply add all of the ingredients to a bowl with the rice noodles as the base. Also delicious, just a little less fun to eat;)
A moment for the Peanut Sauce
The experience is not complete without a peanut dipping sauce IMO, so I highly recommend not skipping this step. ALSO** if you want to try something new instead of the classic peanut sauce, substitute the PB for almond butter. A slightly different flavour that serves the same effect! It is uniquely delicious as well.
- 10-12 Rice Paper Roll
- 1 Mango, sliced
- 1/2 cucumber, julienned
- 2-3 carrots, grated/julienned
- 1 cup vermicieli noodles
- Fresh mint or basil
- 1 bag Frozen Shrimp
- 3 inch cibe ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tbsp sesame oil (or olive oil)
- Optional sauces for dipping: Hoisin & Siracha
- 1/4 cup natural peanut butter
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 3 tbsp milk of choice
- 1 tsp chili sauce
- Defrost shrimp by placing frozen shrimp in a large bowl of warm water.
- Finely chop ginger, and mince garlic to cook with shrimp.
- Prepare carrots, cucumber, and mango for inside the rolls.
- Cook vermicieli according to package.
- Heat a skillet to medium-high heat, add sesame oil, and saute garlic and ginger for one minute. Then add shrimp. Cook for 6 minutes until shrimp is pink and cooked through. Keep on warm.
- Prepare peanut sauce by adding all ingredients to a bowl and sitting together. Add more milk if you want a thinner sauce. (You can also use water instead of milk to thin) Feel free to add more of the other add-ins to find a perfect flavour to your peanut sauce.
- To form rolls add warm water to a pan and place rice paper roll in the water for 30-45 seconds to soften. Then put on a plate.
- Add fresh mint, a small handful of noodles, 3-5 pieces of shrimp, and other prepped fillers. Wrap your rice paper roll.
- Dip in peanut sauce and any other dipping sauce of choice!
* There is a fine art to perfecting the rolling of the spring roll. Don’t get discouraged if you fail at first! It takes practice. My biggest piece of advice is to not leave your wrp in the water for long, it will continue to soften as you fill it! Start by not adding too many toppings, and add more as you get more comfortable with it.