If you are in need of a quick lunch meal prep recipe to take with you on the go for your ridiculously busy life, you will appreciate this recipe. And if you don’t have a ridiculously busy life, you will probably still like this lunch.
I love prepping chicken breast at the beginning of the week as an easy way to get a source of protein with my lunch. I, like many others, am typically on the go for lunch, so having something pre-made and ready to go is a life saver.
I like to think of this lunch recipe as a “nourish bowl”, AKA everything in it is incredibly healthy, delicious, and just sets your taste buds and body up for success.
Quinoa is one of the best sources of good carbohydrates you can think of. It’s a great source of fiber, has a little hint of protein, and It’s also gluten free for all of my gluten free peeps. It’s also one of those low-glycemic index carbs, which means it will digest nice and slowly in your body and keep you perfectly satisfied.
Load this salad up with some simple prepped chicken breast, add some avocado for deliciousness as well as a source of healthy fats. And a special ingredients you may not have thought of…, orange. Giving the salad a perfect hint of sweet to compliment the salty. Team sweet and salty over here.
Make in advance
This cold quinoa salad is incredibly ideal for on the go lunches. You can mix everything together in advance and pack a portion up for your lunch.
*Pro tip: I would recommend adding the avocado individually each day so that it does not get too brown if you are eating this salad throughout the week.
Last but not least, I love to add some extra green to this salad by serving the quinoa salad over a bed of crunchy romaine lettuce. Or, even chopping your lettuce up nice and small and mixing it into the salad itself. The romaine lettuce compliments all of your other delicious ingredients in the quinoa salad!
Mango Chicken Quinoa Salad
Prep time: 30 minutes Serves: 4-6 lunch size portions
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 small boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed (thighs work too!)
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp each salt & pepper
- 2 large oranges, segmented and cut (or 1-2 mangos peeled and cubed)**
- 1 large avocado, cubed
- optional: 1/2 cup cooked edamame
- optional: 1 cup fresh cilantro
- Optional: desired amount of romaine lettuce
*Switch it up a little by swapping the mango for oranges for a more citrusy quinoa salad!
- 4 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2- 1 tbsp honey*
*Add less or more honey to taste!
**I have done this exact recipe except switched out theoranges for mango! Making little switch ups like this makes your lunches more fun and exciting!
If you have pre-cooked chicken already made up feel free to use that instead of making more!
- Cook quinoa according to package. (Once fully cooked let cool)
- heat a large skillet to medium-high heat. Once hot, add olive oil to the pan followed by cubed chicken breasts. Season chicken with paprika, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Cook for about 8-10 minutes until your chicken is fully cooked, stiring ocassionally.
- Once your chicken is cooked add to your prepared quinoa along with mango, edamame and cilantro. (I would suggest adding the avocado when you are eating, so if you are prepping this for the week, add your avocado each individual day.)
- Make your dressing my mixing all of the ingredients in a medium bowl together.
- Pour over quinoa salad and enjoy!
- Serve on its own, or over a bed of romaine lettuce.
Per 1 of 6 servings
Calories: 255 Total Fat: 10g Sodium: 400mg Carbohydrates: 27g Fiber: 5g Sugar: 6g Protein: 15g