What better represents summer than a fresh salad with your favourite mixed greens, tossed in a homemade dressing, and topped with all of the good stuff? Well, ice cream is a pretty good representer as well… Salad and ice cream it is!
Enjoy this salad as a side dish alongside your meal or make it a meal in itself by topping it with some prepared chicken, tofu, shrimp, scallops, or whatever your protein of choice may be!
The beautiful thing about salads is that you are the artist. You can add or omit anything you would like from this recipe. I often like to think of a recipe as the starting block to creating your own masterpiece. That being said, this one is pretty much mastered lol.
Grapefruit, Avocado & Fennel Citrus Salad Recipe
Yield: 4-6 side dishes or 2 main dishes
- Mixed greens of choice (6-10 cups of greens, no specific amount)
- 1-2 grapefruits, peeled, segmented and thinly sliced
- 1 large ripe avocado
- 1 bulb fennel*
- 1 tbsp olive oil/ olive oil spray
- 1 tsp salt & pepper
- Optional but HIGHLY recommended: Parmesan For topping
*If you wish to omit the fennel this salad will still taste delicious. However the extra step to incorporate this delicious ingredient is totally worth it.
- juice of 1/2 a grapefruit
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2-3 tbsp grainy dijon mustard
- 3 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- Preheat your oven to 400℉ to roast the fennel. (This can also be done on the barbecue!)
- Thinly chop and slice your fennel, place on a baking sheet, spray with olive oil or lightly drizzle olive oil on top. Crack salt and pepper on top.
- Place in oven and bake for 15-20 minutes. (If making on barbecue place in a barbecue baking dish and barbecue for 3-6 minutes)
- Make dressing by adding all ingredients in a mason jar and shaking to combine.
- Place mixed greens in a bowl and toss in dressing. (ONLY add as much dressing to desired liking. Depending on the size of your salad, you will most likely have extra for your salad the next day!)
- Top dressed greens with sliced avocado, roasted fennel, and sliced grapefruit.
- Add a few shaving of fresh parmesan on top if desired.
- Add a small crack of salt and pepper to finish it off!