Have you been wanting to jump on the spaghetti squash trend but just don’t know where to start? Well look no further. This recipe will be your new favourite way to use that squash up.
With a few key tips and tricks to prepare your spaghetti squash in the most delicious way possible, I can assure you it will be a hit in your household.
There are tons of great recipes on the web that use spaghetti squash as a regular pasta alternative. For any spaghetti recipe you can imagine, someone has probably done it with the squash. With that, this recipe is different from all of those, using your squash to make a delicious savoury fritter.
These are the perfect side dish to go with your chicken, steak, tofu, or whatever your main protein may be. You can also have these for breakfast with some eggs for a five star brunch. The options are really endless.
You can make a few little tweaks to this recipe to make it perfect for you.
I use chickpea flour for these fritters, however regular all-purpose flour, whole wheat, oat or spelt flour would work as well! For a low-carb option almond flour would also be a good alternative.
As mentioned below, parmesan is a nice touch for a little cheesy flavour. For a dairy-free option, try a bit of nutritional yeast. I love using nutritional yeast in some recipes like this one; Avocado Pesto!
How to Prepare Spaghetti Squash
Cook your squash with a simple microwave method to get it all ready for the rest of the recipe.
Cut your squash in half, remove the centre seeds, and place both pieces skin up in a glass casserole dish. Microwave for 6-10 minutes.
You will know it is all ready when you can spoon out the pieces of spaghetti from your squash.
Note* If your squash is too hard to cut through at the beginning, simply stab a few holes in it with a fork and microwave for 3 minutes., then proceed to cut it in half.
Spaghetti Squash Fritter Recipe
Yield: 10-14 fritters Prep time: 10 minutes Cook time: 10 minutes
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 cup chickpea flour*
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp salt & pepper
- optional: 1/4 cup parmesan **
*Chickpea flour is my personal favourite as it has a nice added taste to the fritter. You could also use regular all purpose flour, or almond flour could be used as a low-carb option.
**parmesan is a good added taste if you like/ want to add a cheesy taste. It is not needed for the recipe however, so you can add as little as you want. (For a vegan cheesy option nutritional yeast is a great protein filled alternative.)
- 1/3 cup plain greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp dried dill OR 2 tbsp fresh dill (basil would also work)
Mix ingredients in a small bowl and add a dollop on top of your fritter if desired!
- Start preparing your spaghetti squash by cutting it in half lengthwise. Take a spoon and scoop out the seeds from the middle.
- Place both sides of the squash skin side up in a glass dish and microwave for 6-10 minutes. (Depending on how large your squash is.) Let cool for a few minutes.
- Take a fork and scrape your spaghetti strands out of the skin.
- Place all your spaghetti contents into a large bowl.
- Add your lightly whisked eggs, followed by flour, and all other spices. Mixing to combine.
- Heat a large skillet to med-high heat. Add a squirt of olive oil spray or very small amount of olive oil. (Just a little to help with the crispiness)
- Take a large spoonfull of batter and spread it into a thin layer on your pan. Repeat this for 3-4 fritters. (fill your pan, you can do this in a few batches)
- Cook for 60-90 seconds on one side. Flip, and repeat on the other side.
- Make 12-14 fritters and serve alongside any meal you desire.
per one of 12 fritters
Calories: 37 Total Fat: 1g Sodium: 116mg Carbohydrates: 5g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 1g Protein: 2g