Ah yes! Thai food. One of my many favorites. SO many delicious flavors that combine to make some pretty special meals. Like this Thai salad. And there are many different ways you can change it up and make it your own.
There are a few key ingredients that shine through no matter what you throw in it. Number one: Sesame oil. You got it. Sesame oil is an oil derived from sesame seeds. It is a great source of those important healthy fats we’re always talking about.
Mango and avocado are the next two ingredients that are certainly a must in this salad. (I mean if you really don’t want them, then suit yourself lol) The mango makes this salad super refreshing and gives it that sweetness you’re looking for. The avocado adds a little creaminess into each bite.
This Thai salad takes salads to a whole new level. There are lots of ways to customize it how you like depending on what veggies you have on hand. It is tossed in a sesame dressing, and topped off with some sesame seeds and sliced avocado. Daikon is the star veggie in this salad. It is very popular in Asian cuisine, perfect for this Thai inspired meal! It is a root vegetable that resembles a large white carrot and tastes similar to a radish with a sweet and crisp flavour. If you aren’t a fan of daikon or aren’t always able to find it, you can swap it out for red cabbage. I’ve used it as an alternative when I don’t have daikon and is also delicious.
Another great way to make this salad different is adding vermicelli rice noodles. They are a delicious addition! If you would like to add them, simply make the noodles according to the package and then let them cool completely before adding to salad.
Daikon! Daikon is root vegetable also known as a winter radish. I like to describe it as looking like a jumbo white carrot. It has a similar taste to radish, however it’s softer and usually slightly milder and sweeter in taste. It is native to Eastern Asia, and happens to be extremely good for you. It’s high in nutrients, containing lots of calcium, magnesium, potassium, and vitamin C.
Thai Salad Recipe
serves: 4-5 Prep time: 15 minutes
- 1 medium-large Daikon spiralled* ( About 4-6 cups)
- 2 carrots peeled and finely chopped or spiralled
- 1-2 red bell pepper
- 1-2 mangos finely sliced
- Optional but great for added freshness: 1/2c – 1c cilantro and mint
- 2 avocados finely sliced
- 3-5 tbsp sesame seeds
- 5 tbsp rice vinegar**
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger minced
- 1 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp honey
- Prep all your veggies by finely slicing or spiralling all of your veggies. (Save the avocado for last) and throw them in your salad bowl.
- Add all of the dressing to. mason jar and shake it up.
- If making vermicelli noodles, prepare them according to package instructions and then strain them and run through cold water.
- Once they are completely cooled add them with the rest of the salad items in the bowl.
- Toss salad with the dressing combining all together. (I don’t typically use all of the dressing, so it will depend on how many veggies you end up preparing.
- Slice your avocado and top the salad.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds overtop to finish off.
- Enjoy this side dish with this chicken satay recipe!
1 of 5 servings
Calories: 149 Total fat: 10g Sodium: 281mg Carbohydrates: 13g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 8g Protein: 3g