I always look forward to rhubarb being in season. My grandfather has a rhubarb patch at his place and makes a delivery of rhubarb when it’s all ready. Then the magic begins. There are so many delicious ways to use rhubarb for baking. Pies, crumbles, jams, chutney, and these amazingly tasty muffins.
What is Rhubarb?
Although it is used more like a fruit, rhubarb is a veggie. It has a similar texture to celery but has a very tart taste. Because of its sour taste, it’s usually prepared in some sort of baked good to compliment the tart with some sweetness. Although rhubarb stalks provide lots of health benefits, it’s important not to eat the greens because they are toxic. So I wouldn’t recommend it. Lol.
These muffins are the perfect level of sweetness to match the tartness from the rhubarb. You can use fresh or frozen strawberries, however if you are using frozen I recommend thawing them out to chop them up.
Strawberry Rhubarb Muffin Recipe
Yield: 14 muffins Prep time: 15 minutes Bake time: 15 minutes Total time: 30 minutes
- 2 C Oat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 2 eggs
- 1 ripe banana
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 C unsweetened almond milk
- 1 C mashed strawberries
- 3/4 C diced strawberries
- 1 C diced rhubarb
- Preheat oven to 350℉
- Start by making your oat flour by blending oats in a high speed blender.
- Add oatflour to a large bowl. Add baking soda, salt and cinnamon to bowl.
- In a separate bowl, lighty whisk two eggs.
- Add in mashed banana, honey, lemon zest, vanilla and milk. Stir to combine.
- Mix wet ingredients in with dry ingredients.
- Mash one cup of strawberries, or pulse in your blender quickly. Add the mashed strawberry to the mixture.
- Finely chop the rest of your strawberries and rhubarb and stir into the muffin batter.
- Spray muffin tins with non-stick baking spray and pour batter into 14 muffins.
- Optional: Chop up extra rhubarb and sprinkle on top with a few old fashion oats.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes.
- Let cool in pan for 5-10 minutes then let cool on a cooling rack if they last that long.
Per 1 muffin
Calories: 83 Fat: 2g Sodium: 103mg Carbohydrates: 15g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 6g Protein: 3g
2 thoughts on “Strawberry Rhubarb Muffins”
These do look tasty.