This Jamaican inspired meal has quickly become one of my favourites. I love using Jamaican spices to give every bite a huge punch of flavour. This meal is so tasty you’ll feel like you are in the Caribbean! Well maybe not quite, but we can pretend.
Stars of the show
While every part of this meal plays its own special role, a few key ingredients that take you to Jamaica, and enhance the taste are allspice, lime and cilantro.
The chicken thighs marinated and seasoned to perfection give this meal delicious Jamaican flavours. The mango salsa along with the cilantro lime rice balance the spice and bring a refreshing taste. I also love making some barbecued veggies with jamaican spices as a side dish, but this is completely optional. My favourites are zucchini and eggplant.
For this recipe you are going to need to marinade the chicken thighs for at least 2-3 hours, but if you are ahead of the game I suggest leaving them to marinade over night.
Like I mentioned above, cilantro and lime are the star ingredients for the side dishes. You can make the salsa while heating up the grill and cooking your chicken. While you are doing this you can also prepare your basmati rice by cooking it how you normally would.
Jamaican Chicken Thighs Recipe
Serves: 4 Prep time: 10 minutes Marinade: 2 hours-overnight Cook time: 15 minutes
- 8 Skinless, boness chicken thighs*
- 5 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 inch piece of minced ginger
- 1 jalapeños pepper seeded and chopped finely
- Juice of one lime
- 1 tsp all spice
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon, cumin, coriander and dried thyme**
- Prepare marinade by chopping and mincing garlic, ginger and jalapeños.
- Put chicken thighs into a bag along with all the other marinade ingredients.
- Put the marinading chicken into the fridge for 2-3 hours or overnight.
- When you are ready to make supper heat up barbecue to high heat.
- Once barbecue is heated up, grill chicken for around 6-7 minutes on each side.
- After 15 minutes check the center to make sure it is fully cooked through.
- Serve with your delicious side dishes!
*If you wanted to replace the chicken thighs for chicken breast that would work as well but thighs are way juicier on the grill.
**To make the barbecued veggies, slice them into long thin slices like in the photos above, poor a light amount of soy sauce over them and sprinkle your desired amount, or approximately 1/2 tsp each of cinnamon, cumin, dried thyme, all spice and coriander on top.
per 2 thighs
Calories: 321 Total Fat: 20g Saturated fat: 5g Sodium: 1 614mg Carbohydrates: 3g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 1g Protein: 30g
Serves: 4-6 side dishes Prep time: 10 minutes
- 2 or 3 mangos cut into small cubes
- 2 medium avocados cut into small cubes
- 1 cup chopped cilantro
- Juice of 1/2 a lime
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Make your salsa by chopping up mango and avocado into small cubes and putting in a medium size bowl.
- Wash and chop 1 cup of fresh cilantro and add to the bowl.
- Squeeze juice of half a lime into the bowl and add all spices.
- Mix all the ingredients together and taste. Add more lime juice or seasonings to your liking!
Based on 1 of 4 servings
Calories: 174 Total fat: 11g Saturated fat: 2g Sodium: 297mg Carbohydrates: 21g Fiber: 7g Sugar: 12g Protein: 3g
Cilantro Lime Rice
Serves: 4 side dishes Prep time: 2 minutes Cook time: 20 minutes
- 1 cup uncooked basmati rice
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- juice of one lime
- We have a rice cooker so to prepare rice I just use one cup of rice with 2 cups of water and let it cook.
- If you are making rice on stovetop place 1 cup of rice with 2 cups of water in a pot and bring to a boil. Once boiling reduce to a simmer and cook for 15-20 minutes.
- Once the rice is done cooking all you need to do is mix in the cilantro and lime juice.
- Serve on the side of your chicken and mango salsa!
per 1 of 4 servings
Calories: 170 Total fat: 0g Sodium: 2mg Carbohydrates: 38g Fiber: 0g Protein: 4g