Nothing screams summer like barbecued anything. As soon as the temperature starts to warm up, and the sun starts to shine I get immediate cravings for barbecued meals. Eating food fresh off the grill just tastes like summer. As the summer months are approaching, and warmer weather is upon us, I’ve been barbecuing as many dinners and lunches as possible.
These chicken kebabs are a super quick and easy meal to prepare and make. They have a dry rub spice mixture so you don’t need to worry about marinading them for hours in advance. Just throw on the spices as you are making supper. I like to serve these kebabs with a side of rice or roasted potatoes. Topped off with a delicious peanut sauce makes for the perfect barbecued summer meal.
What to put on the kebabs?
I have a few “go to” veggies for these kebabs which include bell peppers, red onion and zucchini, and for a delicious burst of flavor I add pineapple. This adds a little sweetness to the meal and a whole lot of deliciousness. You can, however, use whatever veggies you have on hand, like brussel sprouts, mushrooms, egg plants, cherry tomatoes, etc.
The peanut sauce is easily what makes this meal go from good to great. I like to give it a slight spiciness by adding a little chilli sauce, however it’s not a must have if you don’t like spicy food.
Chicken and Veggie Kebabs
Serves: 4 Prep time: 15 minutes Cook time: 15 minutes Total time: 30 minutes
- 4 Boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 red onion
- 2 bell peppers (colour of choice)
- 1-2 Zucchini*
- 2 cups chopped pineapple
- 1 1/2 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
*Like I said before, none of these veggies are required, use whatever you have. I had Brussel sprouts on hand so I threw those on the skewers.
The amounts listed for each spice is only meant to be approximate. I always tend to add more spice then a recipe calls for because I love when things are extra flavourful. So feel free to add more of these spices if you see fit.
- Turn the barbecue on to high heat
- Chop all your veggies and pineapple into bite size cubes that will fit on the kebabs.
- Place them in a large bowl.
- Cut up your chicken into cubes as well.
- Place chicken in separate bowl.
- Then measure out your spices and put them in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle your spice mixture over both of the veggies and the chicken.
- Toss to coat the spice mixture over all of the food.
- Place all the chicken and veggies onto your kebabs.
- Put on the grill and cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Turn them over and cook the other side for 3-5 minutes.
- Veggies don’t take long to cook so to make sure the kebabs are ready check the center of a piece of chicken to make sure it’s cooked all the way through.
- Enjoy with the peanut sauce below!
Per approximately 1/4 of this recipe
Calories: 205 Total Fat: 3g Sodium: 479mg Fiber: 3g Sugar: 13g Protein: 32g
Peanut Sauce Recipe
Servings: 4 Prep time: 5 minutes
- 1/4 c Natural peanut butter
- 1/4 Unsweetened almond milk*
- 2 tsp Soy Sauce
- 2 tsp Chilli sauce (optional)
*This is an approximate amount for the almond milk, however you can continue to add 1 tablespoon at a time until you get your desired consistency for the peanut sauce.
Other milk substitutes as well as regular milk can also be used instead of almond milk.
- Put peanut butter, chilli sauce, and soy sauce into a medium size bowl.
- Add milk and stir to combine, continue adding little bits of milk until you have reached your desired consistency.
Per 1/4 of the recipe
Calories: 98 Total fat: 8g Saturated fat: 2g Sodium: 199mg Carbohydrates: 4g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 2g Protein: 4g
One thought on “Grilled Chicken Kebabs With Peanut Sauce”
I’ll be trying this!! It looks delicious!!