When people say carbs are the most fun to eat, they are so right. Sweet Potato is easily in my top 10 favourite foods. I have it at least once a day if not 2 or 3. With that, Asian flavours are some of my favourites to make recipes with. It’s so versatile and delicious. So this side dish is one of my faves!
Sweet potatoes are an incredibly nutritious, sweet tasting root vegetable. They contain many vitamins and minerals and they are over 75% water. Sweet potatoes are also awesome to promote gut health because they are high in fiber and antioxidants.
In one small sweet potato there are around 110 calories, with 26g of carbohydrates, 2g of protein, 0g of fat and 4g of fiber.
My spiralizer is one of my favourite kitchen tools that I highly recommend purchasing if you don’t have one. You can easily find spiralled vegetables in store but the quantities are super small and the price is jacked up. There are so many different spirallizers on the market, some are super high tech, but you can also find mini ones if you only plan to use it once in a while. You can find these pretty much anywhere in stores as well as on Amazon.
Like I said before Asian cuisine is one of my favourites. There are endless possibilities. In this recipe I made a sauce that has a salty taste with a hint of sweetness. I used almond butter instead of peanut butter (which is commonly used in many Asian sauces), but peanut butter would be delicious as well.
Asian Style Sweet Potato Noodles
Serves: 4 large side dishes Prep time: 10-15 minutes Cook: 7 minutes Total time: 23 minutes
- 5 medium sweet potatoes peeled and spiralled or roughly 5-7 cups.
- 2 zucchini spiralled*
- 3 stalks green onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 2 tbsp minced ginger
For the sauce
- 1/4 c almond butter
- 1/4 c soy sauce
- 1/4 c chicken broth
- 1/4 c rice wine vinegar
- Juice of one lime or about 3-4 tbsp
- 1 tbsp chili sauce (optional if you like a slight spiciness)
*Zucchinis are optional but I really like to add them to give the dish more depth and I find it really lightens it up as well.
- Start by spiralling your sweet potato and zucchini into noodles if you do not have store bought.
- Mince and chop the garlic, green onion and ginger.
- Prepare your sauce in a medium size mixing bowl.
- Add all sauce ingredients and stir together.
- Heat up a large stir fry pan to medium hot with one tbsp of oil. (Sesame oil gives it amazing nutty flavour and aroma, but olive oil works as well.)
- Add the garlic, green onion and ginger to the pan and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add sauce to the pan.
- Right after sauce, add sweet potato noodles and toss with the sauce. Cook for about 4 minutes before adding zucchini noodles as they take much less time to cook and you don’t want them to get mushy.
- Once you add zucchini mix it all up and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Make this the perfect Asian inspired meal by serving with my Lemongrass Chicken Recipe.
1 of 4 servings
Calories: 254 Total Fat: 9g Saturated fat: 1g Sodium: 1059 mg Carbohydrates: 38g Fiber: 7g Sugar: 10g Protein: 9g