Who doesn’t love a good oatmeal chocolate chip cookie? The famous cookie that deserves all the hype it receives. Sometimes cookies can get a bad rap for not being the healthiest snack option around, so I wanted to experiment and try to make my own chocolate chip cookie recipe that is healthier, still delicious, and satisfying to that sweet tooth we all get once in a while.
What Makes Them Healthier?
Most classic chocolate chip cookie recipes have a large amount of butter and sugar, so in this recipe I used a small portion of coconut oil, and a touch of brown sugar to give the cookies the perfect amount of sweetness and softness that are of course required. I also made them gluten free by using oat flour rather than wheat flour.
This recipe is kept simple with the classic addition of delicious semi-sweet chocolate chips, however there are many different ways to evolve this recipe with different add-ins.
- Ground flax seed
Prep time: 10 minutes Cook time: 7 minutes Total time: 25 minutes Yield: 12-15
- 3/4 C Oat flour*
- 3/4 Old fashion rolled oats
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 4 tbsp brown sugar**
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp milk of choice (I used unsweetened almond milk)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil (melted)***
- 1/3 C Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375℉ and put parchment paper on baking sheet.
- In medium size mixing bowl, mix together all dry ingredients until combined.
- In a small bowl whisk egg, then stir in vanilla, milk, and melted coconut oil.
- Pour wet ingredients in with dry ingredients and mix until fully combined.
- Add in 1/3 C of chocolate chips. (More or less if desired!)
- Place 12-15 heaping tablespoons of cookie dough on prepared baking sheets.
- Bake for 7-8 minutes.
- Take out of oven and allow cookies to cool completely.
* To make oat flour simply take quick cooking oats, or old fashion rolled oats and use high speed blender or food processor to finely grind the oats. (I used my ninja bullet blender)
** I have also tried this recipe with coconut sugar and have had equal success as well.
***Coconut oil can be replaced with butter.
Per Cookie (Based on 13 cookies with semi-sweet chocolate chips).
Calories: 89 Total fat: 4.4g Saturated fat: 2.8g Sodium: 188.5mg Carbohydrates: 11g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 6.8g Protein: 2g